Creating multiple y axis graph in excel 2007

Ok this was annoying to figure out thus i had to share this out.
I was trying to create 2 y axis graph, or chart, in Excel since the scale of the 2 data sources was not easy to put in one graph, one was in the tens and the other was in the thousands, i had to work a little harder.
First step is to create a graph using your data and select the type of graph you would like. in our case i went with dual line graph.

Next step was to change the scale so right click on the smaller line chart, the blue one in my case, and select the “Format Data Series…”

Then you get a popup window for the series with an option to change the series axis to “Secondary  Axis”, choose that!

When select the Secondary axis option and close the window using the Close button the graph will update and a new series will appear on the graph..

You have now got a Multiple Y axis graph displaying.

Wasnt too hard now was it?

P.S. the process can be repeated for more lines and more Y axis but i am not sure how useful that data will be.

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2016 Yuval Ararat

Comments

1. Thank you so so much…saved me so many hours of looking around and exploring options. 🙂

2. Sanford Silverburg says:

I need to create a y-axis with two sets of values, from the x-axis from 0 with intervals of .5 to 20 with intervals thereafter of 10. Need help.

3. You’re wonderful! I tried figuring this out using the Excel help and the options they listed were not even visible. Your way took mere seconds!

THANK YOU!

4. Anonymous says:

thanks alot.. have been trying to find out since 3 days…s

5. Mr.Chemic says:

Super! Very good work. This method is very important for me. Now I am trying to draw secondary axis in MS Excel 2003. For Excel 2007 is very easy! Thank you again!

6. This is so easy!! Thanks, you saved me so much time and heartache

7. Anonymous says:

Thankyou Dear, It saved my exploring the solution on net

8. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much! I struggle to find things in 2007 and was tearing my hair out over this.

9. Jaimie says:

I have another question regarding this — Can I have the first axis Y data be in bars and the second axis data be in lines?

Thanks

10. I have another question regarding this….Can I have the first axis Y data be in bars and the second axis Y data be in lines?

Thanks

11. Yes.
    In the second photo you will find the “Change Series Chart Type…” (3rd option from the top after you right click the series). Click on it and it will let you change the series to any chart type that you want.
    But not all of the Chart Types work correctly so be careful in the type you select and validate that nothing was omitted from the results.
    Cheers!

12. Anonymous says:

Thanks alot, this saved me alot of time and stress

13. John doe says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! you saved me so much time

14. Siddo says:

Thanks for taking the time to share!

15. Lacuzygirl says:

Thanks so much you’re a life saver with this one! it actually helped me get my project report off the ground.

16. Emily says:

Thanks Yuval. Super easy, and your instructions were so much more easy and straight forward than the other sites I browsed to figure this out.

17. Happy i could help 🙂

18. Can another x axis con the top be created? I simply can’t get it right… Thank you!

19. AFAIK there is no way.

20. Jingle says:

COOL… thanks… it helps… lesson learned!!

21. Thank you for posting this!!!!

22. Eleni says:

Thx!But I don’t think that the procedure can be continued for more than 2 axis..for example I haven’t find a way to make 3 or 4-y axis..If you have any idea please let me know!!

23. Thanks! Helped a lot!

24. Lilly says:

well this helped me if i was ever to do this on excel but it doesn’t explain or show me how to do this on paper. You reallly helped a lot. thanks!! No

25. dennis says:

this info really helped me so much … i will refer this to my friends

26. barry says:

how to do 3 y axis , 1 on left two on right

27. Dont know. have never been able to go beyond the 2 and i think you cannot since there is not way to have 2 scales on the same axis.
    Sorry.

28. thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    you saved somone’s life buddy 🙂

29. Love you too mate!

30. Thank u so much!!!! Excelent explanation!!
    I ve been looking for this answer for so long!

31. jienhau says:

thank you for your information. it helps me a lot!

32. hadman says:

Thank you very much short and sweet.

33. Thanks

34. Gunjan says:

Thanks,
    With screen shot it helps a lot

35. sweetgrapes says:

Hi yuval: how can i do this using bar graph? i tried but it doesnt work. Thank you.

36. dom brassey says:

In Outlook 2007 I think you cannot do this with any of the 3D graphs. The “Plot Series On: Secondary Axis” option simply does not appear after you select “Format Data Series.” Works fine in 2D.

37. thanx a lot for saving my time. God bless you

38. Gersh says:

I am trying to do this from a pivot table and not having any luck… assistance would be awesome please

39. I never tried using a pivot table to achieve a graph so am not sure about the problems nature.
    Is there a way you can share your sheet so I can see the problem?

40. Todor Tashev says:

You are genius! What I would do without you!?! Thank you SO much!

41. grapher says:

Yes, you can create 3 (or more) Y axes in Excel using
    Multy_Y or EZplot. Try the demo version at

42. Dixie Rect says:

This helped me so much! Thank you <333

43. sebastian shah says:

Hi,
    I’m trying to create a secondary axis on a chart that has been mad from a pivot table, nut when I go to select “secondary axis” in the series option, the radial is not selectable. Please let me know what I need to do? I am using Excel 2010
    Thanks,
    Sebastian

44. kimawi86 says:

Thanx, thanx, thanx .. this is really useful .. I was looking for free OriginLab software in the internet to create multi-axes graphs for my project .. but now no need for that software

45. Karen says:

Do you know a way to associate a data series with a different axis without having to select the data series, e.g. its line or bar, etc.? The problem I run into is that sometimes the data series is not showing due to the scale of the primary axis, and the way I can get to it is to first change the primary axis scale, select the data series I need to change, then using Format Data Series. Then I have to go back and reset the Primary Axis scale. Seems like there should be a way to associate a data series with an axis from the data rather than just from its representation on the chart.

Thanks.

46. Carlos says:

Thank you Yuval, this was very helpful

47. your welcome Carlos.

48. You are a force for good in the universe!

49. Amol Aute says:

Thanks due to ur comment on third axis i could manage to do my presentation and it really helped me

50. siddharth vats says:

thanks dude god bless ..

51. Mark B says:

Awesome, thanks! Saved me tons of time!

52. Web Reviewer says:

For Multiple Y Axes in Excel, try Multy_Y or EZplot at http://www.OfficeExpander.com

There is a demo version for you to try.

Cheers

53. Thanks a lot! So simple, yet I wasted far too much time on this!

54. Thank you. As noted in a previous comment, this saved me a lot of time and was much easier to do than in Excel 2003.

55. But more than 2 y axis is not possible with excel 2007, If you know how to have more than two y axis in excel pl let me know

56. Raghav says:

Great help Man!!! Simplified the entire process. Thumbs up!!!

57. Madison says:

this seriously just saved my life i was trying to figure this out for a good hour and the project is due tomorrow i LOVE you!!!!!!!!!!!!

58. So, what do you do if the Plot Series On section is grayed out? I am trying to re-use a chart someone else created, and I am assuming I need to specify something in the series in order to pick the primary or secondary axis.

59. Never mind, figured it out… The other series was not grayed out, so I was able to plot it on a different axis…. A joy to figure out, nonetheless.

60. Thanks – saved me time as well. Was getting a bit frustrated.

61. niroshaa says:

Awesome. Thanks a bunch

62. Hanmant says:

Good Information. Many thank and saved lot of time.

63. Thanks! This was easy to follow and saved me time.

64. Steve says:

Thank you, this was awesomely helpful and saved a lot of mucking around!

65. Web Reviewer says:

Paul, you can plot more than 2y axes in Excel using Multy_Y or EZplot for Excel at http://www.OfficeExpander.com

There is a demo version for you to try.

Cheers.

66. Ryan bell says:

dude!! this saved me so much time i love u bra!! this was so wicked !! imma go know but man i love u !!

67. Tom Earl says:

how do I make Multiple categorys (Axis Labels) in a line chart
    what I have is multiple programs that I want to trend but in the lable axis categorys only let me list one form of data

68. Terrific! I love when a quick google search turns up exactly what I need.

69. Bill, how did you get it to not be ‘greyed out’ any longer?!?!?!?! Mine is greyed out?!?!

70. Naz, it seems he used the other series. he didn’t get it un-greyed.

71. Pankaj says:

Very good information. Thank you so much.

72. Thanks! Saved my day at work….

73. emil... says:

thanks man you are the best …. !!! you save me for my project !!!

74. diffeomorfisme says:

bedankt. heb ik al te veel tijd aan dit domme ding verspild …

75. Pradeep says:

Thanks you verymuch for the info.

76. Thank you. I was checking for this since a hour

77. Thank you sooo much, i wasted too much time trying to figure out something so simple. thank you for taking the time to explain exactly what i needed!

78. Thank you! 🙂

79. Reduan Khan says:

Thanks a lot mate 🙂

80. Oscar Soze says:

Exactly the instructions I needed. Thanks!

81. Vaibhav jain says:

Great info !!
    I want to create multiple y axis chart in excel 2007. office expander is charging a lot of money for that add on. Is there any other way i can do it. Thanx in advance

82. Not that i know of. that is probably why they are happy to charge you the ridiculous amount of money they do.

83. Binny says:

Great Help!!!! I see a lot of ppl saved time like I did….Thanks!!!

84. Wendall says:

Vaibhav,
    I noticed that the multiple Y axes software for Excel (Multy_Y) is currently showing as 50% off at http://www.OfficeExpander.com
    Maybe this will help. I don’t know of any other way to produce these charts in Excel.
    -Wendall

85. sathya says:

thankx for the simple explantion. it saved lot of time….

86. You are the greatest. Saved me a lot of time. Pat Harrison.

87. Rohit says:

Thanks for your simple explanation. Didn’t think I’d ever be able to do this and you showed me how in 30 seconds. Really, truly, made my day.

88. Cheers says:

Thank you! This was very helpful.

89. CGervais says:

This was incredibly helpful! Thank you.

90. RADMAN says:

You can create 2 seperate graphs into Excel, set their plot area to No fill (Format plot area), then remove all axis that you don’t want to overlay from the second graph when you move it on top of the 1st. You should be able to see 3 set of data refering to 3 seperates Y axis scales (3rd one have to be edit from text with font size to match the original scale) Mine worked just great; I wish I could paste this on this website… RAD

91. Jani Balani says:

I found this really helpful. Thank you so much.

92. Chris says:

So now you have what looks like intersecting line series, which is not the intention. Sometimes the scale difference can be overcome by expressing as percentages of final figures or totals, depends if u really need to see original figures or not. You could also try a log scale, comparing rates of change instead of comparing raw numbers on graph. There are many ways to look at the numbers using a graph, without messing up perceptions of the data.

93. Thanks a lot…… i wasted atleast an hour to get this… appreciate it

94. gets screwed up if x-axis is log. at least it seems so when i tried.

95. This was just what I was looking for
    Thanks

96. what should we do if we want more that two y axis? When I try to make a 3rd y axis as a secondary axis, it still plots the data with my existing y axis. Appreciate if you can help me out.

97. MOFAGHAN says:

thanx a lot man…u saved my times!

98. Deadend says:

Thanks.

This was handy, except Microsoft scales AND adds an offset. This is a problem for my graph of command and output. It gives the appearance of an offset error.

Graphs are for illustration, and Microsoft in an attempt to make things easy makes a graph that will confuse and mislead my audience. I wish I could set offset to zero. (I am surprised that would not be the default.) Two input boxes, one for scale (default to one), and one for offset (default to zero) would be better.

Microsoft seems to put very little thought into some of these features. Histograms are also goofed up.

99. Thanks so much! This is such a great help. Cheers.

100. I often visit your site and have noticed that
    you don’t update it often. More frequent updates will
    give your blog higher rank & authority in google.
    I know that writing articles takes a lot of time, but you can always help yourself with miftolo’s tools which will
    shorten the time of creating an article to a few seconds.